Czech Potato Salad
is one of the most popular foods at the Czech Christmas tables usually being served as a side dish with fried fish (carp), pork schnitzel or using as an enclosure with Czech Open Face Sandwiches… You can find many variations but I prefer this one with no vinegar recipe…
1.5kg/3.3lb Baby potatoes (They are the best taste.)
2 Large Onions (white)
450g/1lb Pickled gherkins (in sweetened vinegar. I use some German one’s from local Lidl.
I heard that US one’s are rather sweet.)
3 – 5 Eggs ( depending up to the user’s taste)
3 pieces of Roasted red peppers (in sweetened vinegar)
220g/0.5lb Garden Peas (tinned in water)
4 tablespoons Tomato Ketchup
4 tablespoons Mustard
½ teaspoon Crushed black pepper
Salt (as required)
For people who like to experiment – you may try to add some tinned carrot, corn, ham or hard sausage.
- First put the potatoes in a pot. Don´t peel it. Boil it with the skin first. Then leave it to cool down before you take the skin off.
- Boil the eggs for around 10 minutes to make them hard. If you are using frozen peas boil it gently as well.
- Dice the potatoes, finely chop the onions, eggs, gherkins and roasted paprika and put them in a big bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and mix everything gently together.
- You are nearly finish. Just check the taste and add some salt or anything else as required.
- Now it is best to put our potato salad to the fridge overnight to get a best taste.
And that´s it.
Enjoy your meal!
My girlfriend loves to eat this potato salad just with a Frech baguette or some white bread and a slice of cheese.
Ok. This was my first post and I hope you liked it.
See you later.