Apple Strudel (Jablecny Strudl)
Hello there. An another weekend is coming. And we expect the arrival of couple friends to chat, drink some coffee and eat something. After hard thinking I chose for a simple but effective recipe the Apple Strudel.
Preparation time: 40 – 55 minutes Servings: N/A
Cook time: 40 minutes Total Time: around 1.5hour depends on your skills
400g/14.1oz plain flour
50g/1.8oz icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
50g/1.8oz melted butter (baking fat, lard)
60g/2.1oz melted butter for brushing the top the apple strudel
140ml / 1/4pint lukewarm water ( but remember the amount of water may vary depending on the type of flour)
Ingredients for filling:
460g/1lb apples – peeled, finely chopped
2 teaspoon vanilla sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
If the apples are too sweet I recommended added some lemon juice to get a stronger sour taste.
- First, we have to make a puff pastry. Take a large bowl, add flour, icing sugar, salt, egg, melted baking fat or butter and everything mix together until it formed to puff pastry. The pastry should be soft and not stick on your fingers. If it is too thin add water if thick add more flour.
- Create a bun. Cover with a towel. Then loaded with a pot full of hot water and leave it to rest for 30 – 40 minutes
- Now it is time to prepare the apple for filling. Take the apples. Peel it and chop them finely. Take an another bowl and place chopped apples in. Add cinnamon, vanilla sugar (I prefer that one with real vanilla pod before that imitation made from coal) and mix it together.
- Take the rested puff pastry, cut it in half (You will make two apple strudel rolls). Put the first half on the work desk,roll it out and cover it by a half of chopped apples as you can see on the picture. Just leave and some empty space at both ends of the end. It helps us to keep the chopped apples in when we will make a roll. And we will do same thing with that other half.
- Put the apple strudel rolls on the paper, take the melted butter and brush onto the rolls.
- Now we have to preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit).
- When the oven is ready, bake it for around 40 minutes (depends on the type of the oven) until it turns to soft brown.
- After you done, brush the melted butter on the Apple strudel again till hot. It makes the pastry softer and taste better.
- Then leave it to cool it down, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut it into thick slices.
That is all. I hope you were successful with this recipe and see you next time.