Granny oil cake
An another weekend here and couple friends came to visit our house… Just for a little chat, drink some coffee and eat a few pieces of cake. So I have decided make something really simple. I have a little recipe book from my granny and this one is on the page number one.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Servings: N/A
Cook time: 45 – 50 minutes Total Time: around 60 – 65 minutes
300g/10.5oz plain flour
200g/7oz icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
5 eggs (separate the yolk and the egg white)
180ml/6.5 fl oz water
180ml/6.5 fl oz veg oil
2 teaspoon cocoa powder
icing sugar for the topping of the oil cake
Tips! I recommended added lemon juice from half of a lemon to get a stronger taste.
You can add some finely chopped almonds and walnuts as well.
- Turn the oven on and preheated to 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit). It will take around 10 – 15 minutes.
- Get a big bowl. Add flour, sugar, vanilla sugar, baking powder, raisins and mix it together. Don´t put any liquid yet because of the baking powder.
- Take the bowl with separate egg whites until soft peaks and use the mixer whisk .
- Take the bowl with the flour, add the yolk eggs, oil, water and mix everything together. You can use the mixer. It´s faster than a wooden spoon.
- Add the soft peaks from the white eggs and gently mix it together with the wooden spoon.
- Now use 2/3 of the dough to fill up the cake form.
- If you want to two colour cake add 2 teaspoons of the cocoa powder to the rest of the dough, mix it together again and add it to the form. Ok. The time to bake our cake.
- Put your oil cake to preheated the oven and bake it for around 45 – 50 minutes (depends on the type of the oven and the shape of the form) until it turns to soft brown. If you don´t have that cake form and you have been using the form for bread it will take around 60 minutes to bake the cake properly even in the middle.
- Then take it off the oven but keep it in the form. It will need to “ripen”. Cover it with a towel and leave it to cool it down.
- When the cake is cool remove it form a mold, topping with icing sugar, cut it into thick slices and that´s it. Enjoy your first oil cake.